FOUND AN INJURED OR STRANDED GOOSE?
IMPORTANT: We are located in Canada and our list of geese lovers are international. If you have found an injured goose, please provide details like photos showing the injury and your phone number and exact location. Unfortunately, we have sent out urgent calls for help and some of our rescuers have driven hours to the location and don't find the goose, probably because it has flown away. They also spend a lot of valuable time and resources when they go out on calls. These are volunteers who do this at their own expense. Often, it seems like a goose is injured when it's not. If it is seriously injured, for example, it was run over by a vehicle, it will be quite easy for you to catch it with a blanket and place it in a pet carrier or a cardboard box with holes cut out on the sides and take it to a wildlife rehabilitation center (Just google "wildlife rehabilitation center" and you will find one nearby) or a veterinarian. You can also get a friend to help you. Due to the many unfortunate wild goose chases we've sent our kind folks out to, we will no longer post urgent calls for rescue unless you absolutely cannot help the goose by yourself. Thank you.
Please CLICK HERE for a list of our Frequently Asked Questions. Your question or concern may be answered here.
We are compiling a List of recommended rescuers, rehabilitators and sanctuariesfor Canada and the United States, beginning with those listed below. We have personally worked with, corresponded with or read about the organizations on this list. We welcome additions to this list.
If you've had a satisfying experience with a rescuer, rehabilitator or sanctuary and would like to have their name added, please contact us at:
- The IGF (International Goose Foundation) works with people and groups from different countries with the goal to educate the public about wild geese species and to prevent unwarranted, government-organized goose massacres in the future. We are open to anyone, anywhere who shares these goals. Totally non-profit. If you need advice with rescuing geese or anything related to preserving the species feel free to contact us. Also, we may be able to help with questions about how to effectively organize and/or oppose goose massacres in your city or state. Contact info:
IGF2125 N. Stoughton Rd.Madison, WI 53704USA
- LIST OF ANIMAL SANCTUARIES AND WILDLIFE SHELTERS
- LIST OF ANIMAL SANCTUARIES AND WILDLIFE RESERVES
- LOCATING WILDLIFE REHABILITATORS
- VERY IMPORTANT AND INFORMATIVE ARTICLE: Should you Feed Geese in the Winter? By Lisa Tretiak, Founder of Prairie Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre.
- GEESE STRANDED IN THE WINTER: If you're in an area where geese typically migrate south for the winter and you notice geese hanging around after the other geese have migrated, these geese are in trouble. They're not remaining because someone is feeding them. They're remaining because they or their mates or children are unable to fly south. It's not necessarily a broken wing that can cause them to be grounded. Some geese may have lost their primary feathers so they appear to be fine but they're unable to fly. Other geese may be ill. You need to feed these geese cracked corn, wheat, oats, or barley. You can purchase these grains from a feed store (listed under FEED STORES in the yellow pages). If you're unable to obtain these grains, wild bird seed containing wheat or corn will do. Locate a rehabilitator near you. Visit our blog to read about 8 stranded geese and how we rescued them. (IMPORTANT: If you see a lone goose hanging out in the spring and he appears to be in good health with no visible wing or other injuries, he is most probably a gander who is watching out for his nesting goose. This goose does not need to be captured.)
- GOOSE CATCHING VIDEOS: Scott Coddington is a volunteer wildlife transporter and rescuer from Colorado. He is very good at catching injured geese and ducks and he posted some goose catching videos on Youtube. NOTE: Scott is an expert in catching geese and he only catches those that are injured. He also knows how to remove fishing line, etc but if he is unable to do it, he transports the goose to a vet. Please do not attempt to capture healthy geese. Doing so will cause them undue stress and possibly injure them: HOW TO CATCH A GOOSE WITHOUT A NET HOW TO CATCH A GOOSE BY HAND
- HOW TO CATCH A GOOSE: We encourage you to feed the geese for a week or more to get them to trust you. It's easier to capture a goose when other geese are present. Get a pet carrier (Medium dog carrier) or a cardboard box with holes poked through it, line it with towels, newspapers, etc. Get a friend to help you (if you can get people who can run fast, that will be the best). Have someone distract the goose by feeding him away from the water. Get him as far away from the water as possible and allow him to feed in peace for 5-10 minutes. Once the goose is comfortably feeding, have your friends come around behind him with bedsheets in their hands and circle him. If possible, throw the bedsheets over him. If he runs, you'll all have to chase him down. Chase him toward a fence or some other obstruction (bushes) and don't allow him to run back to the water. You must maintain a relentless pace. As soon as you get him cornered, throw the sheet over him, then scoop him up gently and place him into the carrier. You can place food and water in the carrier.
- HOW TO TAPE UP A GOSLING WITH ANGEL WING (GREAT VIDEOCLIP)
- HOW TO MAKE YOUR OWN GOOSE CROSSING SIGNS
LIST OF RECOMMENDED RESCUERS, REHABILITATORS AND SANCTUARIES IN THE USA:
- Ellicott Wildlife Rehabilitation Center - Colorado Springs, CO
- Wild B.I.R.D. Information and Rehabilitation of Denver
- Wild Forever Foundation - Colorado Springs, CO
- Wildthings Wildlife Rehabilitation Center
- Hungerford Outdoor Educational Center - Kensington, CT. Waterfowl sanctuary.
- Wildlife in Crisis - Weston, CT
- Suncoast Seabird Sanctuary - Tampa Bay, FL. Rescue and rehabilitation.
- List of Georgia Wildlife Rehabilitators
- Noah's Ark - Locust Grove, GA. Rehabilitation Center and Sanctuary
- Care About Wildlife - Central IL
- Susan Allison - Rehabilitator. Back to the Wild. Phone: 309-762-7719
- Outdoor Bird Care Society of Illinois
- Willowbrook Wildlife Center - Glen Ellyn.
- Wayne Cook - Rescue and rehabilitation of birds and small mammals in East Baton Rouge Parish, Greenwell Springs HOME: 225-262-7040 CELL: 225-937-4506
- New England Wildlife Center - South Weymouth, MA
- Maple Farm Sanctuary
- Wild Care - Chatham, MA. Phone: 508-240-2255
- A.R.K. (Association to Rescue Kritters) - St. Helen, Michigan
- Carole Dangler - Ypsilante, MI Phone: 734-482-8187
- Howell Nature Center - Howell, MI. They have a wildlife rehabilitation center and also a WILD WONDERS WILDLIFE PARK for animals that cannot be released back to the wild.
- Michigan Licensed Rehabilitators
- Wings of the Dawn- Henniker, NH (Rehabilitation Center) (603) 428-3723
- Popcorn Park Zoo
- Woodford Cedar Run Wildlife Refuge, 4 Sawmill Road, Medford, NJ 856-983-3329
PJ McKoskyemptycagescollective@gmail.co - Licensed NY State Wildlife Rehabilitator
- The Raptor Trust - Central NJ; They do care about Canada geese, too.
- Animal Nation - Rye, NY
- Goose Neck Hill Waterfowl Sanctuary - Deleven, NY
- LION (Long Island Orchestrating for Nature) - Long Island, NY
- Volunteers for Wildlife - Long Island, NY
- North Country Wild Care - Network of home based rehabilitators located in Schenectady, Warren, Washington, Saratoga, Albany, Rensselaer, Montgomery, Fulton, and Essex counties
PJ McKosky,firstname.lastname@example.org - Licensed NY State Wildlife Rehabilitator
- Sarah McDaniel -Johnstown, Fulton County. 505-5351. Migratory birds.
- Carolina Waterfowl Rescue - Indian Trail, NC. Rescues and rehabilitates waterfowl.
- Outer Banks Wildlife Shelter (OWLS) - 100 Wildlife Way
Newport, NC 28570 Phone: 252-240-1200
- Possumwood Acres Wildlife Sanctuary - Hubert, NC.
- Birds in Flight Sanctuary - Warren, OH
- Ohio Wildlife Center - Columbus, OH
- Janine Smalley - Willowick, OH Phone: 440-212-6769
- Medina Raptor Center - Spencer, OH
- Second Chance Wildlife - Fayetteville, OH Phone: 513-875-3433
PJ McKosky,email@example.com - Licensed NY State Wildlife Rehabilitator
- Wildlife Clinic of Rhode Island - 25 Shermantown Rd., Saunderstown, RI 02874 Phone: (401) 294-6363
- Keeper of the Wild - St. George, SC
- Helena Nicolay - Burlington, VT Phone: 802-864-4311 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Citizens for the Preservation of Wildlife - Fairfax, VA. Rehabilitators.
- Shore Wildlife Rehab - The Eastern Shore of Virginia, Northampton and Accomack County:
- Wildlife Rescue League
- Donna Williams - sanctuary, northern Virginia.
LIST OF REHABILITATORS AND SANCTUARIES IN CANADA:
- Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary - Rosseau, ON.
- Jack Miner Bird Sanctuary - Kingsville, ON. Year-round sanctuary.
- Sandy Pines Wildlife Centre
- Toronto Wildlife Centre - Rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife.
- Wild Bird Care Center - Ottawa, ON. Excellent rehabilitation center.
- Wabi River Wildlife - New Liskeard, Elizabeth Cowell, 1-705-647-4076 or 705-648-3419; email@example.com
- Wings Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre - Amherstburg, ON.
- Wascana Centre Waterfowl Park - Regina, SK. Year-round sanctuary.